Premier Dental Centre in Montreal’s West Island

A woman flossing her teeth while looking in the mirror.

Brushing your teeth twice a day is essential – but brushing only cleans 70% of your mouth. The other 30% comes from flossing. Without flossing, you are putting your mouth and your body at risk of pain, infection, and disease.

Prevent Gum Disease & Tooth Decay

A toothbrush won’t get in between your teeth, but flossing will do the trick. Flossing helps remove food particles and plaque lodged between your teeth, as well as the plaque along your gum line. By ignoring these bacteria, you are putting yourself at risk for tooth decay and gum disease. Tooth decay can result in cavities, pain, infection, and tooth loss, if ignored.

Reduce The Risk of Heart Disease

Your mouth is connected to your entire body, and any bacteria in your mouth can enter your bloodstream and trigger inflammation in your arteries. A 2019 study found that proper oral hygiene care was connected to a decreased risk of heart failure. Every time you brush your teeth and floss, remember that you are caring for your heart, too!

Prevent Bad Breath

That foul smell in your mouth, known as halitosis, is primarily caused by a buildup of bacteria. Food between your teeth, tooth decay, plaque build-up, cavities and gum disease are all contributing factors to bad breath. Luckily, a brushing & flossing routine helps to prevent many of these factors by removing the bacteria out of your mouth.

A Brighter, Whiter Smile

Flossing keeps your white teeth from yellowing. Staining in the areas in between your teeth is quite common in un-flossed mouths. When you floss, you are removing the plaque and excess food particles that you don’t see in the mirror, but that have a lasting impression on the whiteness of your smile. Flossing also keeps your gums healthy. Without flossing, your gums will become red, swollen, and start to recede.


Helpful tip: If you are prone to forgetting to floss, keep some floss in a very visible and commonly used space in the house, such as a table next to your couch. A great time to floss is while watching TV. Or, set a daily alarm on your phone to floss.

Do you have questions about flossing, or would you like to learn the proper ways to floss? Ask us at your next appointment, and we’d be happy to help.