Dental implants are a popular dental treatment and solution when it comes to replacing missing teeth. Their increasing popularity is due to the various advantages that they present.
At Centre Dentaire NP, we favor this treatment option for our patients that are looking to restore their smiles along with full oral functions. Read on to learn more about the advantages about dental implants!
Dental implants and their use in dentistry
A dental implant is a small “screw” that is made of titanium, which is inserted into the jawbone during surgery. It replaces the natural tooth’s root, providing a solid foundation for either an implant, dental bridge or a fixed denture.
As titanium is a biocompatible material, it works well with the human body. When placed into the jawbone, a process called osseointegration occurs. This process allows new bone cells to form around the implant, allowing it to integrate into the bone thus providing you with a solid foundation. The result of this process is a primary benefit for dental implants.
In dentistry, dental implants can be used in many different ways:
- To replace a missing tooth: a single dental implant can replace a missing tooth. Once the implant is well integrated into the bone, the dentist will place a crown on top of it.
- To replace several missing teeth (in one area): two dental implants can be placed to provide a foundation for a dental bridge. Using this option a total of 4 neighboring teeth can be replaced.
- To replace several missing teeth: dental implants can also support a partial, fixed or removable prosthesis in order to replace several teeth on the same jaw. The number of implants then depends on the type of prosthesis used.
- To replace several missing teeth in the same arch: a complete dental prosthesis, fixed or removable, can be supported by dental implants. As there are different types of prostheses that can be used in this type of situation, the number of supported dental implants can vary.
The advantages of dental implants
Dental implants present numerous advantages when compared to traditional replacement methods such as dental bridges or partial/complete dentures. The following are advantages provided by dental implants:
- Increased lifespan: dental implants can stay in place for several decades when the patient follows the recommendations of the dentist with regard to their maintenance.
- Stability: when they are firmly anchored in the jawbone, dental implants provide excellent stability to the replacement teeth. This results in good chewing ability. Bid farewell to your unstable dentures.
- Their role on your oral health: by replacing the natural root in the jawbone, dental implants continue to stimulate the bone. This will prevent the loss of bone over time, which is not the case with traditional dental bridges or dentures.
- Aesthetics: dental implants allow for the most natural appearance to replacement teeth while providing a radiant smile!
Are you a candidate for dental implants?
The best way to obtain an answer to this question is to consult a dentist that is qualified to insert dental implants. It is during your first consultation that the dentist will be able to evaluate your dental needs and offer the best option to replace missing teeth. In certain cases there are certain steps that need to be completed prior to placing dental implants to ensure the success of the implants.
Your dentist at Centre Dentaire NP can help you determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. Come visit us for a consult today!