Dental implants are a popular dental treatment and solution when replacing missing teeth. Their increasing popularity is due to the various advantages that they present.
At Centre Dentaire NP, we favour this treatment option for our patients that are looking to restore their smiles along with its function. In this article, you will learn the advantages to this option and what dental implants are!
Dental Implants and their use in Dentistry
A dental implant has the appearance of a “screw” that is made of titanium. It is placed into the jawbone during surgery and replaces the natural tooth’s root providing a solid foundation for either an implant, dental bridge or a fixed denture.
As titanium is a biocompatible material it works well with the human body. When placed into the jawbone a process called osseointegration occurs. This process allows new bone cells to form around the implant, integrate it into the bone thus providing you with a solid foundation. This is the primary benefit to dental implants.
In dentistry, dental implants can be used in many different ways:
- To replace a missing tooth: a single dental implant can replace it. Once it is well integrated into the bone, the dentist will place a crown on top;
- To replace several missing teeth (in one area): two dental implants can be placed to provide a foundation for a dental bridge. Using this option a total of 4 neighbouring teeth can be replaced;
- To replace several missing teeth: dental implants can support a partial denture either removable or fixed to replace missing dentition in the same arch. The number of dental implants in this situation are dependent on the type of prosthesis that will be used;
- To replace several missing teeth in the same arch: a complete denture, fixed or removable, can be supported by dental implants. As there are different types of prosthesis that can be used in this type of situation, the number of dental implants is varied as well.
The advantages of dental implants
As mentioned earlier, dental implants present numerous advantages when comparing them to traditional replacement methods such as dental bridges or partial/complete dentures. The following are the advantages provided by dental implants:
- Increased lifespan: dental implants can stay in place for several decades as long as they are cared for as your dentist has recommended for their maintenance;
- Stability: once they are osseointegrated into the jawbone, dental implants are excellent anchors for missing teeth. For individuals that have missing dentition, this provides a great way to be able to chew your food. Bid farewell to your unstable dentures;
- Their overall role on your oral health: by replacing the natural root in the jawbone, dental implants continue to stimulate the bone. This will prevent the loss of bone overtime such as the case for dental bridges or traditional dentures;
- Aesthetics: dental implants allow a much natural appearance for missing teeth providing a radiant smile!
Are you a candidate for dental implants?
The best way to obtain an answer to this question is to consult your dentist that is qualified to place dental implants. It is during your first consultation that the dentist will be able to evaluate your dental needs to be able to offer the best option to replace missing dentition. In certain cases there are certain steps that need to be completed prior to placing dental implants to ensure the success of the dental implants.
Your general dentist at Centre Dentaire NP can help you determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. Come visit us for a consult today!